The medical billing career requires certified medical billers with skills to handle all aspects of the billing cycle. Without proper training in medical billing, payer rules, and regulatory issues, reimbursement will be compromised. The Certified Professional Biller (CPB) through AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) has provided a national certification examination that demonstrates this knowledge to the medical community.
Medical Billing Certifications – Certified Medical Billers
Certified Medical Billing Skill set:
- Understand the different types of insurance plans and their rules and provisions.
- Apply payer policies, Local Coverage Determinations (LCD), and National Coverage Determinations (NCD) for successful claim submissions avoiding costly claims denials.
- Work with CPT, ICD-9-CM, and HCPCS Level II coding guidelines and reference manuals.
- Navigate the different rules and regulations that apply to the healthcare industry, including HIPAA, False Claims Act, Fair Debt Collections Act, and HITECH.
- Know the life cycle of a medical billing claim and how to follow up on denied claims, make appeals, and are experts in accounts receivable.
The AAPCs CPB Exam
- Consists of 200 multiple choice questions and is a proctored examination.
- 5 hours and 40 minutes to finish the exam.
- For the initial fee, you can have 1 free retake to be used within one year of first of attempt
- $399 ($325 AAPC Students)
- May have your ICD, CPT, and HCPCS manuals for use during the exam.
Become certified is the smart thing to do. It increases your job possibilities by “professionalizing” your resume. It also documents your skillset by a well-recognized organization within the medical billing industry.
By: Dawn Moreno, PhD, CBCS, CMAA, MTC. Lives in the beautiful Southwest United States and has been an instructor for medical coding/billing for the past 7 years. Interested in quality medical billing training? Brighter Future is at your hand with Online Medical Billing Courses
Learn More Information about Medical Billing Certifications
Submit your review