Job interviews can be scary and being well-prepared is key to performing well. Here we will learn 8 steps to a quality and successful job interview.
1. Do your research- Know the company. Understand their goals. Know how you can fit in to help them reach their company goals.
2. Make sure you can and do answer the most commonly asked interview questions:
a. Why are you here?
b. What can you do for us?
c. What is your biggest strength and weakness?
d. Why should we choose you over someone else?
Medical Billers Job Interview – Steps to Success
2. Know how to converse on the fly. This means if asked to discuss a project that you completed successfully know which project you will discuss and what you will say. If asked to discuss a little about yourself, focus on your education, job history, and just a little about yourself such as interest or hobbies.
4. Have a list of questions you would like to ask the interviewer about the job or company. It is best to wait for an offer because discussing salary.
5. Dress for a job interview not a hot night out on the town. Dress conservatively in business attire and colors. Do not overdo makeup or hair. Do not wear heavy cologne. Wear proper business shoes.
6. Watch your body language. Don't fidget, mess around in your purse, or twirl your pen. Do make eye contact.
7. End the job interview with an answer to this question “What is the next step in this process?” You've gone this far, you have a right to know exactly what is going to happen as a result of this meeting.
8. Send a brief thank you letter for the interview. Do this within the first 24 hours of your interview if at all possible.
Preparation for an interview alleviates your internal stress and makes you feel more confident. Being prepared makes you come across in the best light possible. So, prepare well, and good luck!
Dawn Moreno, PhD, CBCS, CMAA, MTC. Lives in the beautiful Southwest United States and has been an instructor for medical coding/billing for the past 7 years. Interested in quality medical billing training?