What is ICD 10? ICD 10 stands for International Classification of Diseases 10th edition. It's the new and improved updated version of ICD 9. Now, ICD 10 is split into two systems: ICD-10-CM (Clinical Modification) is the diagnosis code set that will be replacing ICD-9-CM Volumes 1 and 2. ICD-10-CM will be used to report diagnoses in all clinical settings. ICD-10-PCS (Procedure Coding System) is the procedure code set that will be replacing ICD-9-CM Volume 3. ICD-10-PCS will be used to report hospital inpatient procedures only.
Now, let's look at some ICD 10 training online resources available that would help you prepare to be ICD-10 ready as the go-live date for ICD-10 implementation is looming — as of this writing, it’s just 72 days until the launch on October 1, 2015.
ICD 10 Online Certification Training
ICD 10 cm Official Guidelines for Medical Coding Reporting
Download the complete ICD 10 CM Official Guidelines here
ICD 10 Online Tool for Small Practices
Road to 10: The Small Physician Practice's Route to ICD-10 – Free tools and webcasts specific for helping small physician practices implement ICD-10.
The ICD-9 code sets used to report medical diagnoses and inpatient procedures will be replaced by ICD-10 code sets on October 1, 2015. ICD-10 consists of two parts:
- ICD-10-CM diagnosis coding which is for use in all U.S. health care settings.
- ICD-10-PCS inpatient procedure coding which is for use in U.S. hospital settings.
ICD-10 will affect diagnosis and inpatient procedure coding for everyone covered by the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA), not just those who submit Medicare or Medicaid claims:
- Claims for services provided on or after the compliance date should be submitted with ICD-10 diagnosis codes.
- Claims for services provided prior to the compliance date should be submitted with ICD-9 diagnosis codes.
The change to ICD-10 does not affect CPT coding for outpatient procedures.
Source: ICD 10 Basics
ICD 10 Videos and Webinars
- How To Pass the ICD 10 CM Proficiency Assessment Without Stress- Webinar Promo
- ICD 10 Training with CCO – Free ICD-10 Proficiency Webinar
- ICD 10 CM Medical Coding Practice Test Tip
- What Should be the Main Focus on Preparing to Study for the Medical Coding Exam
- ICD 10 Practice Question – Medical Coding Practice Test
- ICD 10 CM New Chapters Disorders of the Eye and Adnexa – Glucoma Medical Coding
ICD-10 Implementation Tracking Tool – This tool is available to non-AAPC members. You just need to create an account to access the tracking tool and activities checklists. Please note: This link takes you out of the AMA Web site.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI)
Source: ICD-10 Code Set to Replace ICD-9